Probiota Asia 2019: Faecal microbiota transplantation…just what it is good for?
That is one of the pressing questions that will be assessed at our forthcoming Probiota Asia summit, to be held in Singapore from October 22-24, in a keynote presentation by Dr Sam Costello, Consultant Gastroenterologist and Head of IBD Research at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Adelaide
“Recent evidence has emerged for the effectiveness of FMT as a treatment for ulcerative colitis, whiletThere have been associations drawn between dysbiosis and a large number of other diseases and this has prompted investigation of FMT as a therapy more broadly,” he said.
“The success of FMT therapy has catalysed research into rationally designed microbial therapeutics with the aim of supplanting FMT in the future.”
Take home messages from Sam’s presentation will include:
- FMT is an established therapy for Clostridioides difficile infection.
- There is strong evidence for the efficacy of FMT in the treatment of ulcerative colitis
- FMT is being investigated in a large number of other diseases
- Rationally designed microbial therapeutics are likely to supplant FMT in future
Sam’s PhD focused on faecal microbiota transplant (FMT) as a treatment for ulcerative colitis and undertook a clinical fellowship at St Mark’s Hospital in London in 2016.
He has been an invited speaker at both Australian and international conferences and has a number of peer-reviewed publications with a particular focus on the gut microbiome and FMT.
Sam also founded the Australian stool bank BiomeBank and co-ordinates the South Australian FMT service.
Other confirmed speakers at the event, include:
- Natarajan Ranganathan, Founder and Managing Director, Kibow Biotech Inc.
- Thomas Hayes, Analyst, Emerging Ecosystems in Agrifood & Health, Lux Research
- Dr Vineet Sharma, Associate Professor, Metagenomics and Systems Biology Laboratory, Department of Biological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal, India
- Lillian Fan, Antion (Beijing) Information Consulting Co., Ltd
- Dr Bejit Ideas, Presidenj, Japanese Society of Anti-Ageing Nutrition
- Rieko Shofu, Founder, Sensing Asia
This is the third year the event, organised by NutraIngredients-Asia, part of William Reed, has been held in Asia.
Regional Head of APAC at William Reed, and NutraIngredients-Asia Editor-in-Chief Gary Scattergood said: "After two hugely successful years, we are delighted to bring Probiota Asia back to Singapore for year three.
“In a short space of time, the event has become the region’s leading summit for industry and academia interested in the areas of probiotics, prebiotics and the microbiome, and we look forward to welcoming a stellar line-up of speakers.”
A significant part of the summit will look at the link between the microbiome, nutrition, and a raft of health conditions, alongside major market insights, regulatory developments and consumer trends.
The 2019 event has already received sponsorship backing from valued partners DuPont, AB-Biotics, Morinaga, UASLabs, and Nutrasource.
To register, please visit: https://www.probiotaasia.com/register/
For sponsorship and commercial partnership queries, please contact Sue Ann Peh or Tim Evans.