Slow the aging process and enhance skin longevity by reducing telomere shortening and cell senescence, giving rise to younger-looking, brighter skin
Skin aging is a complex and multifactorial process mainly caused by an imbalanced redox status, DNA mutation, telomere shortening, and cell senescence, Modification of these factors using natural, ingestible ingredients is an appealing way to support holistic beauty, aging well and complete wellness.
The skin is the largest organ of the human body, protecting us from microbes and the elements. It helps regulate body temperature, and allows the sense of touch in our body. As the average human life expectancy has increased, the general population worldwide has become increasingly interested in skin aging as it is the most visible indicator of overall health and of age or youth. On the other hand, with increasing consumer interest towards natural products, the ability of natural antioxidants from botanical sources to both appeal to consumers and provide skin benefits are in high demand.
Skin aging is a natural process caused by both intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Extrinsic factors include exposure to sunlight or pollution. Intrinsic aging represents physiological changes over time, occurring at variable, genetically determined rates. The combined effects of aging over the human lifespan leads to a loss of structural integrity and physiological function in the skin. Aged skin is susceptible to dryness, wrinkling, loss of elasticity and hyperpigmentation, among others.
The regular consumption of fruits, vegetables, and certain herbs rich in biologically active compounds is considered to be one of the best strategies against skin aging and to promote natural beauty. Thus, using ingestible ingredients in tandem with topical solutions can provide deeper support to obtain a more beautiful and healthy skin.
Preserving telomeres and targeting senescent cells
An important and novel way for improving collagen synthesis, extracellular matrix integrity and skin aging depends on the activity of the fibroblast cell.
However, as we get older, the fibroblast begins to accumulate oxidative damage that eventually leads to senescence, i.e. loses the ability to replicate, and suffers a reduction in its normal cellular functions. This leads to a situation where the skin is not capable of efficiently repairing damaged collagen, with a consequent loss of a functional support matrix related to the visible signs of aging, such as fines lines, wrinkles, and sagging. The accumulation of senescent cells within the skin can further accelerate the aging process, leading to a decline in both skin function and appearance.
The molecular mechanism behind replicative senescence is thought to be associated with telomeres. Telomeres are repetitive DNA base units that protect the chromosome “caps” during cell division. Telomeres shorten with each cell division until they reach a length that makes the cells stop dividing and enters senescence.. Lifestyle and environmental stress can amplify telomere shortening. This issue can be compensated through the enzyme telomerase, which can slow or even reverse telomere shortening. Telomerase activators enhance the efficiency of the DNA repair process and protect cells from stress and DNA-damaging conditions.
Therefore, ingredients that could reduce senescent cell numbers or reduce telomere attrition are an effective treatment for age-associated skin deterioration.
eternalyoung slows the aging process at its root
Inspired by nature and driven by science, Monteloeder has developed eternalyoung. eternalyoung is a proprietary botanical blend comprised of Centella asiatica, Cistanche herb, pomegranate, and orange extracts, specifically designed to delay, from the inside, the normal skin aging process at the cellular level, targeting the origin of youth: the cellular telomeres and senescence.
The effectiveness of eternalyoung has been proven in vitro (fibroblast and melanocytes) as well as in a gold standard clinical trial with 60 subjects aged between 35 and 65 years.
in-vitro studies indicate that eternalyoung can prevent and reduce the signs of skin aging by targeting key molecular mechanisms of skin aging, such as:
- Delaying cellular senescence by reducing fibroblast telomere shortening rate thanks to its antioxidant activity and its ability to activate telomerase. By reducing telomere shortening, eternalyoung prolongs the cell´s lifespan, allowing them to avoid senescence and make old cells function as they did when they were younger.
- Contributing to fibroblast proliferation which may favour the synthesis of the structural proteins of the dermis, thus preserving and strengthening its structural organization.
- Protecting skin cells from the oxidation damage that occurs with aging.
- Reducing the levels of AGEs (advanced glycation end-products) in fibroblasts. AGEs alter skin physiology by impairing the deposition, organization, and physicochemical properties of dermal extracellular matrix components. Thus, counteracting glycation is considered an important anti-aging approach in the maintenance of healthy skin.
- Inhibiting melanin production in response to UVA radiation, which contributes to reducing or preventing hyperpigmentation.
This anti-aging activity at the molecular level has been translated into eternalyoung, corroborated in a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study. The results demonstrated that a daily intake of 225 mg of eternalyoung was enough to produce visible and structural improvements in the skin and signs of aging. In fact, the ingredient positively influenced all the clinically monitored parameters, both compared to baseline and placebo group, as early as four weeks.
After 12 weeks, eternalyoung:
- Reduced wrinkle depth (-14%) and skin roughness
- Improved skin elasticity (+17%), firmness (+12%)
- Reduced skin fatigue (-12%)
- Increased skin thickness and re-densified the skin (+150 µm)
- Reduced dark spots pigmentation and provided a growing skin radiance over time (+27%)
- Increased skin moisture (+20%) and improved skin barrier function by reducing transdermal water loss (-14%)
- Reduced stress and fatigue, increasing the feeling of wellbeing